Ferencvaros won their first league match under new head coach János Mátyus, defeating Kisvarda 1-0 at home.
The home side dominated the match from the start, but found it difficult to break down Kisvarda’s deep defense. Krisztián Lisztes finally broke the deadlock in the 44th minute, heading in a corner.
Mátyus made three substitutions at half-time, bringing on two attackers and an attacking midfielder in an attempt to find a goal. They were much more lively in the 2nd half with more chances created than the first.
Ferencvaros had more defending to do in the 2nd half. Even with substitutions, they could not find the finish to put the game away for good. Kisvarda defended well and limited Ferencvaros to a few half-chances in the second half.
The visitors’ only chance of the second half came in the 75th minute, when Mario Ilievszki hit the crossbar from a clear position.
Ferencvaros held on for a deserved victory, despite a slightly more restrained performance than in their Europa Conference League match three days earlier.
- 16th minute: Dénes Dibusz saves Aleksandar Jovicic’s header to the bottom right corner.
- 18th minute: Barnabás Varga hits the left post with a header.
- 29th minute: Danijel Petkovics pushes Mohammed Abu Fani’s shot off the crossbar.
- 44th minute: Krisztián Lisztes heads in a corner to give Ferencvaros the lead.
- 75th minute: Mario Ilievszki hits the crossbar for Kisvarda.
Player of the match:
Dénes Dibusz made some crucial saves to keep Ferencvaros in the game.
Ferencvaros deservedly won the match, but they will need to improve their finishing if they are to challenge for the league title this season.