OTP Bank Liga match day 2 round up

Written by Gaby Kovács


[h5]Lombard Pápa 0 Paks 0[/h5]

Friday night’s opening game was a very poor affair with only a few events of note. Firstly Kulcsár struck the post for the away side after he found himself in space on the left hand side of the area, and not to be outdone, Seye went on a wander around the Paks area before finally striking the ball from the edge of the box which too struck the upright. A forgettable match for the 900 watching inside the Perutz-stadion and considerably more on live television but Pápa can now boast a two game unbeaten run whilst Paks pick up their first point of the season.


[h5]Egri FC 1 Siófok 1[/h5]

Friday’s second game saw Egri play their first “home” game in the first division, despite it being played in Budapest at Vasas’ Illovszky Rudolf Stadion. 300 fans saw Sipos open the scoring for the away side on 21 minutes when his shot took a deflection which looped over a helpless Sztankó in the Egri goal. Into the second half, and Egri’s determination and battling spirit earned them a reward on 60 minutes when Dobrics smashed the ball into the Siófok net. Both these sides picked up their first points of the new season and Egri certainly proved they are not here to make up the numbers.


[h5]Kaposvár 1 Debrecen 0[/h5]

2500 fans watched on at the Kaposvár Rákóczi Stadion as current champions Debrecen lost their first game in over a year on Saturday. The away sides line up was a very unfamiliar and untested one as first team players were rested ahead of their Champions League qualifying 2nd leg game. With it being so early on in the season it would not be seen as a disaster losing here today with European football the number one priority but let’s not taking  anything away from the hosts who played some very neat football and carved out quite a few chances whilst keeping things tight at the back. In fact at half time, Debrecen had failed to register a single attempt. The goal that won it came 25 minutes into the first half when centre half Zámbó curled a free kick round the wall and into the back of the net via the bottom of the post, leaving goalkeeper Polekszics stood admiring. Kaposvár take their first points of the season while Debrecen lose their first for 31 games.


[h5]Győr 1 Haladás 1[/h5]

A fantastic atmosphere at ETO park on Saturday where the home side were looking to put their humiliating opening day defeat behind them. Kronaveter opened the scoring on 27 minutes when his delightful 35 yard free kick found its way into the top corner and gave Győr a deserved lead and they continued pressing for a second but found Rózsa in the Haladás net in great form. The away side were back on level terms on 54 minutes when a long ball over the top from defence found youngster Radó , who needed just one touch before nicely slotting past the keeper. Győr created chance after chance but found Rózsa saving everything they threw at him, including Dudás 71st minute penalty which was awarded after the goalkeeper was judged to have bought down Kronaveter. An entertaining draw which saw Győr pick up their first point of the season while Haladás move their tally on to four.


[h5]Pécs 0 Ferencváros 0[/h5]

Far from a drab game at the PMFC stadion where 5000 fans generated a magnificent atmosphere as Budapest’s big boys came to town. The first half saw them match each other footballing wise and also in yellow card as both sides collected 2 each for some very hard tackles. To be fair, nobody made a meal of the challenges flying around and accepted that this was going to be one of those full blooded encounters. Into the second half, Ferencváros were doing the majority of the attacking while Pécs used counter attacking to create their chances but the home side had to play the last 30 minutes with 10 men after Lantos collected his second yellow and received his marching orders. Fradi could not make the numerical advantage count despite the kitchen sink being thrown and finished the game with their second draw of the campaign while Pécs add a point to their three gained last week.


[h5]Újpest 0 Videoton 1[/h5]

Sunday’s first game saw Paulo Sousa make changes ahead of Videoton’s Europa league qualifier and also saw three Újpest players make their home debuts at Megyeri út in Budapest. Újpest created the best of the early chances when new Israeli signing Zaris was allowed to carry the ball all the way to the edge of the area before firing straight at the goalkeeper. Sensible refereeing allowed a  drinks break in the searing heat after 20 odd minutes and somebody must have put alcohol in Torghelle’s, as he fell over very easily in the area on 31 minutes to earn the away side a penalty, but justice was done as Sándor saw his spot kick saved by Balajcza in the Újpest goal. Vinicius got himself sent off for Videoton after 41 minutes for a professional foul  and just 3 minutes later it was 10 v 10 as Kabát received a second yellow card for controlling the ball with his arm in the oppositions area. Újpest pressed in the second half with Remili in particular most notably shooting over and heading straight at the goalkeeper.  Torghelle was Videoton’s main outlet all day and on 66 minutes his brave diving header saw Balajcza fumble at his near post as it crept into the net, just.  Szolnoki found himself sent off  for Videoton in the 82nd minute, collecting a second yellow as the Újpest man convinced the referee he had been fouled. A very ill-tempered game which sees Újpest winless so far and gives Videoton their first win of the campaign.


[h5]Kecskemét 1  MTK Budapest 1[/h5]

The second of Sunday’s matches saw last season’s high fliers Kecskemét playing host to NB I new boys MTK Budapest at the Széktói Stadion. Kecskemét, looking to get their first win of the season under their belt, started the brighter of the two but looked to be struggling to break through a stubborn MTK defence. That changed in the 43rd minute, however, as Litsingi unleashed a shot which the MTK keeper could only deflect wide. Márkó Sós was on hand from the resulting corner to give KTE the advantage going into the break. The second half was an altogether different affair, with MTK proving far more prominent in attack as they pressed for an equaliser. It seemed for a long time as if all their efforts would go unrewarded as Patrik Tischler first hit the bar, and then shot straight at Gábor Németh in the KTE goal, as they searched for the ellusive goal. In the 82nd minute, all their work finally came to something as MTK got lucky at one end, before taking their chance at the other. KTE struck the woodwork before succombing to a deadly MTK counter attack cooly finished off by Norbert Könyves into the top left corner of the net. The result leaves Kecskemét still seeking their first win of the season, but means that MTK Budapest maintain their unbeaten start to their first season in the NB I since gaining promotion.


[h5]Honvéd 2 Diósgyőr 1[/h5]

With both sides having won their season openers last week, this was always going to be a game where something had to give. Both sides knew that a win at the Bozsik Stadion would put them top of the league after two rounds, but that anything less would spoil an otherwise perfect start to the season. It didn’t take long for the action to start as DVTK almost took the lead after less than a minute. A dangerous corner into the box was met unmarked at the near post but Kemenes made a superb point blank save to deny them an early lead. DVTK would live to regret that as 17 minutes later, after an incisive counter-attack down the right, Délczeg popped up to calmly slot home form just inside the area. That lead lasted all of 15 minutes before Honvéd were caught out at their own game. A swift counter from DVTK left Seydi with a clear chance on goal. His shot was brilliantly saved by Kemenes but the rebound landed at the feet of Luque who found the bottom right corner with a cool finish. From there the game ebbed and flowed, with both teams creating plenty chances to take the lead but it wasn’t until the 63rd minute that the breakthrough was found. Another DVTK corner was this time caught by Kemenes who quickly released Diaby through the middle on the break. Diaby’s first shot from the edge of the box was saved by Ribánszki, but the rebound again found Diaby and this time he made no mistake. DVTK pressed for an equaliser toward the end, but again they found themselves thwarted by the in-form Kemenes. The result leaves Diósgyőr with 3 points from their first two games, with Honvéd now sitting pretty atop the league after two straight wins.