OTP Bank Liga match day 1 round up

Written by Gaby Kovács


[h5]HALADÁS 4 EGRI FC 2[/h5]

6000 fans flocked to the Rohonci úti Stadion on Friday to see Haladás open the Hungarian season against the division’s new boys, Egri FC. Haladás dominated the first half as Egri looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights but they failed to turn any of their possession into real chances and paid for it on the stroke of half time as Egri surprisingly took the lead when Pisanjuk smashed the ball into the net from six yards out. The home side went off to a chorus of boos but came back out with Halmosi now pushed up to left midfield which proved a tactical master stroke. On 50 minutes Kenesei levelled the match with a header from a few yard out and just 2 minutes later, Halmosi put Haladás ahead after a quick and slick counter attack left him with the task of slotting into an empty net. Halmosi again proved too much for Eger in the 58th minute when he burst into the box and was brought down by Preklet to earn his side a penalty. Iszlai stepped up to convert the penalty and five minutes later the home side had another spot kick awarded after a hand ball. This time substitute Andorka took the kick and coolly slotted home. On 74 minutes Egri scored the goal of the game when new signing and substitute Németh burst into the box and slotted home after a good team move. Egri piled the pressure on and only a good save and poor finishing prevented them from scoring again but their day got worse as Knakal was sent off with 9 minutes to go.


[h5]DIÓSGYŐR 2 ÚJPEST 1[/h5]

Hopes are high for these two teams this season and 9000 fans packed into the DVTK stadion on Friday to create a fantastic opening day atmosphere. Diósgyőr struck first when Fernando ghosted in to head home a free kick on 29 minutes and they were given a boost when debutant Aarab was sent off for Újpest on 38 minutes for catching his opponent in the face with a flailing arm. It was always going to be tough for the away side but a superb free kick on 42 minutes thumped the crossbar and bounced out to the middle of the area, where Vermes brilliantly headed the ball in and gave the away side an unlikely equaliser. Diósgyőr pushed for a winner and despite defending stoutly the ten men were finally out done when Seydi smashed the ball into the roof of the net on 65 minutes to end the contest.


[h5]PAKS 2 PÉCS 3[/h5]

A crazy 6 minute spell at the Városi Sporttelep was sparked when Grumics played a lovely ball through to Wittrédi who kept his composure to curl a beautiful shot into the net on 31 minutes. Grumics got himself on the score sheet just 4 minutes later when he rose highest in the area to slam home an unstoppable header after great work from Bajzát.  Two minutes later, Paks were back in it when Simon found himself completely unmarked in the box to easily head home. We had to wait until the 71st minute for the next goal and it was a Paks equaliser when Heffler  curled a beautiful free kick over the wall and into the top corner. The game was in stoppage time when Zeljkovic scored the goal of the day to give Pécs all three points when he struck an unstoppable long range free kick from the right hand side of the area straight into the top corner of the net.


[h5]DEBRECEN 4 GYŐR 1[/h5]

Last season’s champions kicked off their season against the side that pushed them so close for most of the season at Oláh Gábor utca on Saturday. Just 8 minutes were on the clock when Sidibe opened the scoring for Debrecen, putting the ball into an empty net after goalkeeper Sztevanovics made a hash of catching his header, dropping it at his feet. Just 2 minutes later, Debrecen doubled their lead through Szakály who diverted Sidibe’s miss hit shot powerfully with his head into the net. Győr got themselves back in it a minute later when Andrics was sent free to race into the area and shoot at goal which goalkeeper Novakovics allowed to go through his hands and into the net. Sidibe poked the ball home on 21 minutes to put Debrecen 3-1 up and on the stroke of halftime Kulcsár scored one of the weekends best goals when he picked the ball up on the right hand side of the area and danced into the box, leaving 3 defenders for dead before coolly slotting home. Győr were given a slim lifeline on 53 minutes after being awarded a penalty but to sum up their day, Trajkovics duly missed.



5000 were in attendance at the Albert Flórián Stadion in Budapest to see Alempijevics slot the ball into an empty net on 33 minutes for the home side following a good run into the area from which would of seen a penalty awarded had it not gone in. Kecskemét levelled on 63 minutes through Jorginho who headed home a free kick from a few yards out. Balogh was sent off for the away side on 74 minutes but Fradi’s numerical advantage was wiped out on 88 minutes when Otten found himself having an early bath too.



Sunday’s first game of the opening weekend saw MTK make their return to the first division at the Hidegkuti Nándor Stadion. Highly rated forward Tischler opened the scoring in the 12th minute, but they had to wait until the 67th minute for a second when Wolfe put the game out of reach. On 77 minutes Könyves extended MTK’s lead before Waltner scored a 90th minute consolation.


[h5]SIÓFOK 0 HONVÉD 1[/h5]

A goalless first half at the Révész Géza utcai Stadion which saw three of the Honvéd players booked, but that was about it for action. The second half continued in the same vein until the 79th minute when Ignjatovics put the ball in from close range to give Honvéd the lead and all three points. The match ended with less spectators than it started with as a huge storm descended on the lake side town, halting the match, but it couldn’t dampen the spirits of the travelling fans from Budapest.



Last season’s runners up started against underdogs Pápa in Sundays final game at the Sóstói Stadion and found themselves a shock goal down when Seye put the visitors ahead on 25 minutes. Other than a sprinkling of yellow cards the first half finished with a whimper.  Into the second half then and as expected Videoton came racing out of the blocks with half time substitute Nikolics needing just 7 minutes to hit the back of the net. Try as they might to score more, Videoton faced a resilient defence and ended their first game of the season with huge disappointment.