Hungarian NBI Roundup – Week 2

Vasiljevic getting the first of his two goals for Videoton

Results: Ferencváros 1-1 DVTK, Gyor 1-0 Újpest, Haladás 2-4 Honvéd, Kecskemét 4-0 Kaposvár, Papa 2-0 Siofok, Vasas 1-2 Pecs, Videoton 4-0 Paks, ZTE 0-2 Debrecen

The weekend’s action kicked off on Friday night as Debrecen travelled over 400km to take on ZTE in Zalaegerszeg.
And it was ZTE who were to have the better of the early exchanges, twice going close from a goalmouth scramble. But as the game progressed Debrecen began to dominate more and more, and it became inevitable that Loki were going to score.

After 75 minutes it was to be Loki to score. Man of the match Jozsef Varga broke through the midfield and played a great ball to Yannick who centred it to Kulscar and he did the rest, and the second came soon after a nice one-two on the edge of the box put Yannick through on goal, and he couldn’t miss.

In the end a comfortable 2-0 win for Loki who go top on the table with two wins from two.

Next up was Vasas vs Pecs. After an impressive result for Pecs last week, they were looking to carry on their good work in Budapest against Vasas who were demolished by Loki in Debrecen.

Along with a few other hundred fans in the stand, I was also there. It was my first NBI game for over three years and I was delighted to be. I was just hoping for a good game. I didn’t really have any loyalties as such, but when you’re sitting with the home set of supporters, you lean towards them a bit, so I was a honorary Vasas fan for the day.

But it was the Vasas fans who were going to be disappointed ending up on the wrong side of a 2-1 defeat after dominating large parts of the game.

The first half was all Vasas, but chances were being spurned left, right and centre with Simic being the main culprit, missing three relatively easy chances on his own.

The second half started the same as the first with Vasas controlling possession and the game. But just five minutes into the half, a long ball wasn’t dealt with by Mate Katona and Zsolt Horvath was quick enough to beat to onrushing Vasas goalkeeper to the ball and take a shock, undeserved lead.

The lead was to last no longer than two minutes and it was captain Jozsef Gaspar who was to claw Vasas back into the game with a superb header from a corner.

However 10 minutes later, disaster struck for Vasas as their two centre backs – Kovacs and Gaspar – went for the same ball and brutally smashed into each other’s head knocking Gaspar unconscious on the floor. The Vasas players were visibly shaken by the events, seeing their captain – who had been a rock all day – lying motionless on the ground and being carried into an ambulance, and it seemed to affect their performance for the rest of the match. Kovacs was to return – but only after 10 minutes of having strapping wrapped around his head to stop the blood.

The performance dropped considerably from Vasas and Pecs began to take initiative. And with 20 minutes left it was Oliver Nagy who was to win it for Pecs to take them joint level at the top with Debrecen.

Haladás suffered back-to-back defeats on Saturday losing 4-2 at home to Honvéd. Hali were without their talisman Peter Halmosi who was sent off last week, and it showed as they were outclassed by a poor Honvéd side.

Both teams had lost last weekend, but it was Honvéd who had started the better of the sides and they were ahead after 16 minutes when Danilo scored from the spot. Hali soon responded as captain Peter Toth made it 1-1 before Danilo again netted another penalty to make it 2-1 to The Army at half-time.

Krisztian Kenesei levelled again for Hali from the spot, but it wasn’t to be enough as late goals from Novak and Lovric sent Hali home with nothing.

Lombard Papa picked up another win, this time at home Siofok. Wantaway striker Goran Maric netting both goals for Papa to take his and Papa’s goal tally to three for the season and Papa joint top of the table.

The big game of the day came at ETO Park as Újpest travelled to Gyor. And it was to be Gyor who were to win it with a goal from Lithuanian international Linas Pilibaitis.

Újpest again were extremely poor again, and if they don’t start to pick up their form soon, Meszoly could be out of a job. No points from two games now for Lilak while Gyor have two wins from two.

Sunday saw two 4-0 wins for Videoton and KTE who beat Paks and Kaposvár respectively.

It was Vidi’s first league game of the season, and it was a superb way to start for Sousa to start his NBI campaign beating the only team left in Europe from Hungary by such a healthy margin. Vidi will definitely be fighting for that title come the end of the season.

Finally Ferencváros were unable to pick up their first win of the season as they were held to a 1-1 draw at home by 9 man DVTK. Ferencváros got off to a flier as Liban Abdi continued his good form giving Fradi the lead after just 4 minutes. But that to be in terms of goals for FTC and even after Gallardo was sent off at the end of the second half, Fradi never looked like scoring again. And when Luque equalised for DVTK with a superb free kick with 20 minutes to go, Fradi were still unable to create chances. Pal was then sent off with 5 minutes left for DVTK but FTC were on able to create one chance of a note, a long range shot being superbly saved by Rados in the Diosgyor goal. A great result for DVTK but an awful one for Ferencváros who’s fans let their feelings be known to the players and manager Prukner – who might feeling a bit of pressure, especially after Thursday’s Europa League exit.

Enhanced by Zemanta

One thought on “Hungarian NBI Roundup – Week 2

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.