Hungarian NB1 Roundup – Week 22

Results: Vasas 1-1 MTK, Videoton 3-0 Zalaegerszegi, Siofok 1-1 Ferencvaros, Kecskmeti 0-1 Papa, Paks 2-3 Kaposvar, Honved 3-1 Haladas, Gyor 4-2 Szolnoki and Ujpest 2-2Hungarian NB1 recap Debrecen

Videoton recorded their 5th home win in a row at the weekend to extend their lead at the top of the table to 12 points with just 8 games to go. Their win came over 5th place Zalaegerszegi in the biggest game of the weekend. With the scores level at half-time after an uneventful first 45 minutes, Videoton knew they had to up the tempo in their 2nd half, and that’s exactly what they did. Substitute Vasiljevic got the first goal for the league leaders before Robert Varga was dismissed for a second yellow card in the 76th minute. It wasn’t long before things got from bad to worse for ZTE. Goalkeeper Vlaszak was then sent off for a challenge which was deemed to be denying a goalscoring opportunity by the referee, and with ZTE having already made their 3 substitutes, midfielder Djordje Kamber was forced to go in goal. He incredibly got a hand to Andre Alves’ ferocious penalty but couldn’t keep it out. Alves finished the game off by scoring a superb solo effort, to really put the icing on the cake for the champions elect.

The other result from Friday night was the hotly contested Derby between Vasas and MTK. MTK were the better side throughout the game but the 14th place team, couldn’t hold on and were eventually reduced to 9 men, firstly after goalkeeper Hegedus was sent off for a late challenge on Ferenczi, and the second coming after Suto inexcusably elbowed his marked in the face. MTK did however escape with a 1-1 draw which I’m sure they’ll be delighted with.

Saturday’s games contained 18 goals in just 5 games. 15th place Siofok climbed 1 point closer to safety after securing a vital draw against 2nd place Ferencvaros. Gergely Delczeg took the leader for Siofok before the Maltese international, Andras Schembri equalised late in the second half.

Honved won their first game in the league since October, after beating Haladas 3-1 with defender Ivan Lovric notching a brace for the ‘Army’.

The pick of the games came between 3rd place Paks and 4th place Kaposvar. Kapi claimed the win thanks to goals from Peric, Pavlovic and Olah. Kaposvar took a 2-0 lead after 50 minutes, and looked like they would cruise to a comfortable victory before two quick goals from Barta and Magasfoldi made it all square. But a late goal from Kaposvar kept their dream of a Europa League place, still very much alive.

Gyor recorded a 4-2 win over bottom of the table Szolnoki. However it was far from routine for ETO. 10 man Szolnoki scored a dramatic late equaliser through Djurovic with just 2 minutes to play, but two injury time goals for Gyor won the game, to condemn newly promoted Szolnoki to their 1st loss of the year, but their 14th loss of the campaign.

The other Saturday result saw two mid-table sides battle in a dead-rubber game, bar the remarkable (incredible saying that with 8 games left). Kecskmeti lost 1-0 to 9 men Papa. Rebryk scored with just 10 minutes left, but was sent off for a second yellow following the removal of his shirt. Zulevs was also sent off for Papa later in the game.

The final result of the weekend came on Sunday between Ujpest and Debrecen. The two sides fought out a superb contest in which ‘Loki’  took the lead twice before two goals from Ajhupera levelled the tie for Ujpest. That game meant that Debrecen haven’t won an away game since last March – that’s 344 days! Incredible!

Enhanced by Zemanta

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.