OTP Bank liga match day 4 round up

Written by Gaby Kovács


Kecskemét 1 Kaposvár 2

Round four started on Friday at the Széktói Stadion where Kecskemét where looking for their first win of the season. They got off to a bad start, as after just 4 minutes a long ball from defence evaded everyone, leaving Vrucina in the area to touch the ball home, but Kecskemét got themselves back in it on 15 minutes when a freekick deflected off the wall and landed in the area, leaving Sós acres of space to volley into the top corner as six defenders stood and watched. In the first minute of the second half came a huge talking point when Kecskemét’s Pekár crossed from the left and hit the inside of the far post, cannoning back to what looked like over the line. Impossible to tell, but one replay angle proved that is was in fact a magnificent save from Hajdúch. On 50 minutes came a goal of the season contender when Vrucina bagged his second. Picking the ball up in midfield, he was fully 35 yards out when his shot rocketed into the back off the net via the top corner. The home side threw everything at Kaposvár but great reaction goalkeeping and poor finishing meant their record so far this season reads drawn two, lost two. Kaposvár pick up their second win of the season and boast a record of won two, lost two.


Haladás 0 Diósgyőr 0

Saturdays first game was at the Rohonci úti Stadion where the home side were looking to continue their fantastic start to the season. Haladás started the day as the division’s top scorers  while the away side’s predicted attacking threat has yet to get into second gear, so I suppose it was inevitable that this game would finish goalless. A scrappy game,  which saw eight yellow cards issued, should have been settled by Kenesei for the home side, but he wasted the game’s best chance, volleying straight at the goalkeeper after finding himself with the freedom of the penalty area. Haladás remain unbeaten, with 8 points so far coming from two wins and two draws while Diósgyőr have 7 points courtesy of two wins and one draw.


Pécs 2 Debrecen 3

A fantastic match at the PMFC Stadion on Saturday saw the home side take a shock lead just two minutes into the second half when a neat pass left substitute Okoronkwo to burst into the area before turning a defender and firing into the corner of the net. Great goal. Pécs were in dreamland after 61 minutes when Krejci doubled their lead after a neatly worked free kick left him with the task of stroking home from a few yards out as the Loki defence stood and watched. On 70 minutes came a nine minute spell which won the game for Debrecen, and who else but Adamo Coulibaly as the architect of the Pécs demise. Firstly he sent the goalkeeper the wrong way from the penalty spot and then on 75 minutes magnificently lobbed the ball into the net from 35 yards after the goalkeeper found himself in no man’s land heading the ball to the Frenchman. His hat trick was complete on 79 minutes when he deflected Sidibe’s cross into the net from a few yards out. A brilliant comeback from the current champions who now have 9 points from their four games while Pécs lose their first game of the season after one win and two draws.


Siófok 2 Győr 3

Saturday’s last game was at the Révész Géza utcai Stadion where Győr played a huge part in the home sides opening goal. It came after just 2 minutes when a suicidal ball across the defence went straight to Dajic who was given a clear run at goal and was able to round the goalkeeper to slot home. Győr were back in it on 23 minutes when a cross was flicked on to Varga who found himself unmarked at the back post to head in. Győr took the lead on 57 minutes when a free kick into the area was missed by everyone, leaving Kamber to get enough of a touch to deflect it into the goal. Győr’s inability to convert any of their numerous chances was punished on 87 minutes when Nyári managed to squeeze a shot through various bodies from a corner but any joy was short lived as on 90 minutes, Kamber scored his second of the game when his poor header just about crossed the line before Siófok cleared it. Győr record their second win of the season as they sit on 7 points and Siófok remain bottom of the league with just 1 point from their four games so far this season.


Újpest 2 Ferencváros 1             

These fierce rivals met at the Szusza Ferenc Stadion in front of a big crowd on Sunday looking for the first bragging rights of the season. In the searing heat, Újpest started the brightest and were full of running, but the referee was blowing his whistle for everything. The home side were ahead on 28 minutes when Zaris saw his shot parried into the path of Kabát who headed into the open net. Fradi had their chances in the first half, most notably Böde clipping the top of the bar with a free header but Újpest were great value for their half time lead. Into the second half and it was the home side who pressed the Fradi players all over the pitch, not giving them any time on the ball which made the game fizzle out. In the 90th minute Ferencváros were awarded a free kick 30 yards out which substitute Orosz struck beautifully into the corner of the net to give the away side a very undeserved equaliser, but incredibly, deep into stoppage time, substitute Tshibuabua found himself unmarked in the area as Fradi failed to deal with Újpest’s first corner of the game, and he passed the ball into the net. Cue wild scenes of celebration as the home side got their first win of the season and all the bragging rights that go with it. Ferencváros now have a record of won one, drawn two, lost one.


Budapest Honvéd 3 Paks 3

Sunday’s other game in the capital was at the Bozsik József Stadion where the early pace setters found themselves a goal down after just 6 minutes when Kiss gave Paks the lead. It lasted just 10 minutes though as Zsivanovics equalised on 16, but Paks pressure was rewarded when Simon made it 2-1 before Sipeki scored on the stroke of half time to give Paks a 3-1 half time lead. Poorer Honvéd sides would of folded for less but on 62 minutes, substitute Vernes reduced the deficit before Délczeg levelled the game just 4 minutes after. Paks third draw in a row sees them with three points this season while Honvéd lose their 100% win record but remain top of the league by a point.


Lombard Pápa 0 MTK Budapest 2

MTK took their unbeaten record to the Perutz stadion on Sunday but found themselves up against a resilient and at times lucky Pápa side. With substitutes and yellow cards the only thing of note until 7 minutes from time, midfielder Nikházi changed that when he gave the side from the capital the lead and on 90 minutes, Hidvégi made sure of all three points when he scored. MTK remain unbeaten with a record of won two, drawn two while Pápa’s second defeat on the trot gives them a record of drawn two, lost two.


Videoton 2 Egri FC 1

Sunday’s and the weekends last game was at the Sóstói Stadion where Videoton were looking to make a statement of their intentions this season. The home side were denied a penalty early on after Oliveira jinked into the box and was body checked by the defender  but other than that they were restricted to long range efforts as Egri defended in numbers. Into the second half and the divisions new boys stunned last season’s runners up by taking a 56th minute lead through Koós and it could of got worse as a few minutes later, Videoton’s goalkeeper Bozsovics pulled off two great saves in as many minutes. Into the second half and Videoton once again found themselves up against the Egri wall, and whenever they got over it goalkeeper Sztankó was behind everything they could throw at them. On 87 minutes Videoton finally got the breakthrough when substitute Torghelle found himself unmarked in the area to head home from a few yards out and minutes later should have been on the end of a fantastic cross into the area that he missed by a whisker. Into stoppage time and it was heartbreaking for Egri as Videoton were awarded a penalty which Nikolic stepped up to coolly despatch and give all three points to his side. Egri can take great heart from this defeat and now have one draw and three defeats to their name while Videoton record their second win of the season and sit on 7 points from four games.

Enhanced by Zemanta