OTP Bank Liga Round up – Matchday 25


Written by Gaby Kovács

Friday night in Budapest at the Bozsik József Stadion saw home side Honvéd face the very much in form Siófok, and after a scoreless first half, just five minutes into the second period, Lovric was left unmarked in the six yard box to head home for the hosts. On 71 minutes, Ivancsics hit a shot from 30 yards out which went low and into the corner of the net to make it 2-0, and just 8 minutes later Faggyas made it 3-0 to Honvéd, smashing it perfectly into the top corner from the edge of the area. Siófok did manage a consolation on 84 mins when Simon was left to neatly tuck home in the area, but it finished 3-1.  Honvéd stay 4th in the league, while Siófok sit in 10th.

A bizarre game at the ZTE Aréna where all but relegated Zalaegerszeg faced title chasing Videoton. It all went mad in the 37thminute

ZTE protest against the red card given to Bogunovics

when a crazy series of events saw Bogunovics and goalkeeper Jahic sent off for the home side. It was all sparked when Panikvar kicked the ball at the linesman full pelt, hitting him in the chest, after the referee had awarded a penalty for handball, which was a very harsh decision. As the referee showed the red card to Bogunovics for handball , Keeper Jahic was incensed and grabbed the referee around the neck, earning him his marching orders. It was a complete melee, but after order was restored, Nikolics slotted home the penalty to make it 1-0 to Videoton. It was 9 v 10 on 69 minutes when Videoton’s Vaskó was sent off for a professional foul, which shouldn’t have been, as there was a blatant handball from the ZTE player in the first instance. ZTE were two down on 73 minutes when Gosztonyi followed up in the box to slot home following a good save from substitute keeper Vlaszák. A bad game for the officials and ZTE who remain at the bottom with no wins and 8 points from 25 games, and a defeat next week, and a Vasas win will mean they will be relegated. Videoton remain 3rd, putting pressure on the top two.

Ferencváros and Kecskemét met at the Albert Flórián Stadion in Budapest, and only 45 seconds were on the clock when the home side took the lead as Simic headed in from a yard out after an initial effort had come back off the crossbar. Grúz made it 2-0 to Ferencváros on 32 minutes, heading home from 6 yards out and the game looked finished. Kecskemét got themselves back in it two minutes after half time when Litsingi headed home, but it was all the away side could muster. Sváb was sent off for Fradi with ten minutes to go for a crude tackle, but they took all three points here and sit 9th in the table. Kecskemét remain in 5th, having a very good season.

Two teams in relegation trouble, Haladás and Újpest, met at Rohonci úti Stadion on Saturday and it was the home side who took an early lead, when veteran Kenesei scored after 13 minutes. It was looking like the home side would hold out for a huge win, until 10 minutes from time when substitute Balogh equalised for much improved Újpest. In the dying moments of the game, Rajczi received his second yellow of the game and was dismissed but the game finished 1-1. Haladás slip a place to 11th and are 7 points from the drop zone. Újpest now unbeaten in three, have a 5 point cushion from the final relegation place as they sit in 12th.

A mid table, nothing to play for game at PMFC Stadion where Pécs hosted Paks. After a goalless first half, Hrepka scored on 52 minutes to give the away side the lead, but the hosts got themselves back in it on 67 minutes when Bajzát equalised. Just 3 minutes later though, Hrepka got his second and Paks winner. Pécs drop to 8th in the table and are currently on a winless streak, while Paks move up to 6th, unbeaten in four.

Adam Hrepka celebrates his double in Paks' 2-1 win

Huge game at the Illovszky Rudolf Stadion where relegation candidates, Vasas faced Lombard Pápa.  20 minutes into the first half, Vasas struck first when Görgényi put them ahead, but it was short lived as Farkas equalised for Pápa from the penalty spot. Try as they might, neither team could find a precious  winner and it finished with them sharing the points. Vasas remain in the last relegation place in 15th, while Lombard Pápa sit one place ahead, on 24 points, 3 ahead of Vasas.

Sundays first game saw Győr play Diósgyőr at ETO Park, and the main talking point of the first half was the sending off of DVTK’s midfielder Sekour who reacted badly to being barged off the ball by body checking the opposition player. On 54 minutes Strestík gave Győr the lead after DVTK keeper Rados made a horrible error, failing to hold on to his 30 yard strike, and their cause was helped further when on 80 minutes Gohér was dismissed for a poor challenge, to leave the visitors with 9 men. Two minutes from time, substitute Ahjupera made the game safe with a well hit shot from within the area, and leave Győr just 2 points behind leaders Debrecen, while Diósgyőr drop down to 7th place, with this their 4th defeat in a row.

One game left this weekend, and it was leaders Debrecen at home to Kaposvár at the Oláh Gábor utca stadium. Korhut opened the scoring for Debrecen after just 7 minutes, smashing the ball high into the net, and Méyé doubled that on 28 minutes, jumping highest between two defenders to head home. In the 36th minute Bouadla made it 3-0 with a curling free kick and the game was effectively over. Korhut was sent off in stoppage time for a professional foul but Unbeaten Debrecen are top of the shop on 57 points while Kaposvár sit perilously close to relegation in 13th place on 24 points.


Next week’s league fixtures

Paks vs Honvéd  (Friday)

Kecskemét vs Győr                        

Újpest vs Vasas                               

Kaposvár vs Pécs

Pápa vs Zalaegerszeg                    

Siófok vs Haladás

Diósgyőr vs Debrecen  (Sunday)                              

Videoton vs Ferencváros  (Sunday)

Enhanced by Zemanta