OTP Bank Liga Round up – Matchday 24


Written by Gaby Kovács

Friday night saw the opening match of the weekend take place at the Kaposvár Rákóczi Stadion where Kaposvár hosted Diósgyőr. Sekour gave the visitors the lead after 32 minutes to show new manager Lázár Szentes what he is capable of with a brilliantly hit side foot effort that flew into the net. It remained that way until the hour when Bebeto just about put his spot kick past goalkeeper Rados in the DVTK goal to make it all square. On 72 minutes came the goal of the game as Tisza got hold of the ball on the left hand side of the area and slotted home coolly after dancing through the Kaposvár defence. As the game looked like finishing with an away win, Bebeto got his second of the game on 86 minutes to level things up and into stoppage time, an awful mistake by keeper Rados gifted Grumics the ball and he made sure that a remarkable turnaround was complete as it finished Kaposvár 3 Diósgyőr 2. Their first win in 5 leaves Kaposvár 4 points from the drop zone while Diósgyőr drop to 6th having lost their last 3.

Kapi secured three points with a late, late goal.

On Saturday Paks faced league leaders Debrecen at the Városi Sporttelep looking for unlikely back to back wins but they would have been more than happy with the point they got here as Debrecen struggled again to kill off a game. As expected, chance after chance came Loki’s way and a combination of poor finishing and outstanding defending meant they could not find a way past Csernyánszki and they almost paid dearly for it, as In stoppage time only two fantastic saves from Novakovics in the Debrecen goal kept this tie goalless. Debrecen’s second draw in as many weeks is not great form as we reach the final rounds of the season, but it certainly keeps it interesting for all us fans. Three games without defeat for Paks now who sit in 8th position in the table.

Attempt number 24 for Zalaegerszeg to record their first win of the season as they travelled to the Széktói Stadion to face high flying Kecskemét, but after only 5 minutes the difficulty of that task became apparent when Tököli scored for the home side. ZTE keeper Jahic was in great form today but could do nothing when Litsingi scored on 64 minutes to double the Kecskemét lead and that’s how the game finished. Realistically ZTE are now only a couple of weeks away from being confirmed as relegated, something we have all known for a while. That was the eleventh win of the season for Kecskemét who jump to 5th in the table.

One of the form sides in the division, Siófok, welcomed manager less Pécs to the Révész Géza utcai Stadion but it was the away side who took the lead in this one when Horváth hit an effort from outside the area into the top corner on 70 minutes. That goal looked like it would give Pécs their first win in 4 games until the 90th minute when the home side were awarded a penalty. Simon stepped up to convert and it was 1-1 and game over. Haraszti had other ideas though as he scored for Siófok in injury time to complete an incredible comeback. An amazing second half of the season so far for Siófok who sit in 10th place, 10 points above the relegation zone despite being one of the favourites to go down. Pécs drop down to 7thplace with 34 points from their 24 games.

Siofok celebrate their dramatic comeback

Győr travelled to the Albert Flórián Stadion in Budapest to face Ferencváros already knowing that Debrecen had drawn their game earlier. It gave the 2nd place visitors a chance to go level on points at the top of the league and they were soon ahead as Trajkovics scored after 15 minutes, latching on to a defence splitting pass to slot home from the edge of the area. That lead lasted only 6 minutes, when Beliczky scored, slotting home unmarked from six yards out.  This time we only had to wait 3 minutes for another goal as Győr took the lead again when Djordjevics smashed the ball high into the net following a corner. Fradi goalkeeper Jova, made a fabulous triple save to keep Győr from widening their lead and on 78 minutes Győr goalkeeper Sztevanovics showed what a fine line there is between being a hero and a villain. His save following a goalmouth scramble was superb, but the ball eventually came back off him to go down as an own goal and give the home side a point. Győr  manager Pintér said he was happy with the point, but his team will surely be disappointed not to be level with Debrecen. Ferencváros sit in 9th place, currently unbeaten in three.

A relegation battle at the Perutz-stadion, where  Lombard Pápa faced Haladás. It wasn’t until the last 10 minutes when this game came to life, firstly with the sending off of Radó for Haladás, who received his second yellow card for diving. Despite being down to ten men, it was the away side who had the chance to win this game as they were awarded a penalty in the 82nd minute. Kenesei was unable to put it past Szűcs though, and keeping up with the theme of the weekend, Seye headed home on 88 minutes to give Pápa a huge three points. Haladás slip down to 11th on 27 points, while Pápa

Sundays first game saw struggling Vasas travel to the Sóstói Stadion to play Videoton. The visitors got off to the perfect start when Ferkó scored after only 6 minutes, slotting home after the keeper failed to hold a shot. Of course, that lead was short lived, and just 2 minutes later Vinícius volleyed home from a few yards out. It surprisingly stayed level until half time, but only 2 minutes into the second half Sándor headed in to make it 2-1 to Videoton. On 54 minutes a poor headed back pass was intercepted by Nikolics who rounded the keeper to coolly slot home, and the rout was finished on 72 minutes when  Nikolics bagged his second, easily slotting into an empty net to give Videoton the 4-1 win. Vasas in serious trouble now, holding 15th place on 20 points. Videoton within 8 points now of leaders Debrecen, as they sit in 3rd place.

The final game of the weekend saw Budapest rivals Újpest and Honvéd meet at the Szusza Ferenc Stadion. Another team currently looking for a new manager following the sacking of Zoran Spisljak last week, Újpest went into this game looking for an important win to help them pull away from the relegation zone. They got the best possible start after only 4 minutes when Vasziljevics brilliantly lobbed everyone to score from 35 yards out following a terrible mix up in the Honvéd defence which left the goalkeeper on the edge of the area following a clearance. On 26 minutes Honvéd were given a way back into the game when Újpest keeper Balajcza came out for a ball which he missed completely and hauled the man down to give away a penalty. Much to his relief though, Ivancsics stepped up to blaze over the bar. A first half littered with free kicks and poor football would not of impressed the on looking Hungarian national team coach, with none of the players on show doing anything to justify a call up. Into the second half then, and the game got better, with both teams having chances through mostly bad defending, but the goalkeepers were up to everything thrown at them. The game was finally put to bed on 79 minutes when Simon attempted a header at goal which found its way to Rajczi, who simply had to tap in. It was a deserved win for Újpest who nearly made it three late on when a sweet effort hit the bar. That win lifts them up to 12th place, 4 points from the drop zone and despite being in very poor form, Honvéd just about hang on to 4th place.


Next week’s league fixtures


Honvéd vs Siófok  (Friday)

Zalaegerszeg vs Videoton

Ferencváros vs Kecskemét

Pécs vs Paks

Haladás vs Újpest                           

Vasas vs Pápa

Győr vs Diósgyőr  (Sunday)

Debrecen vs Kaposvár  (Sunday)

Enhanced by Zemanta