OTP Bank Liga Round up – Matchday 23


Written by Gaby Kovács

This weekend’s round of fixtures started on Friday evening where Gyõr faced Kaposvár in front of the television cameras. Only 9 minutes were on the ETO Park scoreboard when Pátkai headed home unmarked to put the hosts in front, and in the 25th minute former Hungarian under 21 international Roland Varga scored his first goal in only his second appearance in a Gyõr shirt with a firm header. Bebeto’s goal straight from the kick off of the second half gave relegation candidates Kaposvár a glimmer of hope but the game ended 2-1. five wins from the last five for Gyõr,  who are within 2 points of the leaders Debrecen now whilst Kaposvár are just 1 point above the drop zone.

6000 fans flocked to Oláh Gábor utca to see the leaders Debrecen take on the inform Siófok. With the teams level at half time, it wasn’t until the 57th minute that the first goal came, and what a goal it was as Mészáros timed his run perfectly to charge into the area and hit a left foot shoot beautifully into the net. All going to plan for the league leaders until the 80th minute when Debrecen defender Simac looped the ball over his own goalkeeper from the edge of the area to score a bizarre own goal and give the away side an unlikely point. That result leaves Debrecen top but with only one win in the last three. Siófok remain unbeaten in their last four games to pull further away from the relegation zone.

Kecskemét earned a midweek draw at Debrecen to put them into the league cup final where they face Videoton, but today they travelled to the Illovszky Rudolf Stadion in Budapest to face the much troubled Vasas. Just five minutes had passed when Alempijevics put the visitors ahead with a great shot from the edge of the area and only two minutes later Lencse had doubled the lead with a simple tap in before Pekár made it 3-0 two minutes before the break with a finish a few yards out to give Kecskemét a very comfortable lead. Vasas came out a different side and Kovács pulled one back just a minute into the second half, but despite pressurising they could not get another and on 73 minutes Tököli gave Kecskemét a 4-1 lead, rounding the keeper to slot home. Dajic scored for the home side with 6 minutes to go with a neat finish after rounding the keeper, but the game finished 4-2. Vasas remain in serious trouble in 15th place while Kecskemét move up to a very good 5th place.

Another great crowd at the DVTK Stadion as 7000 fans came out to see home side Diósgyőr take on Paks and to see how the clubs technical director, Lázár Szentes would do as a replacement for Miklós Benczés who left the club by mutual agreement last week. Defender Éger gave the visitors a 1-0 lead on the half hour with a header from inside the six yard box, which they held onto until half time. Just three minutes into the second half Hrepka doubled Paks lead scoring off the post and it wasn’t until the 79th minute that the home fans had something to cheer when substitute Seydi pulled it back to 1-2, poking the ball home from a few yards out. That loss moves Diósgyőr down to 6th place while Paks sit comfortably in 8th.

Vid's hopes of retaining the title were dealt a huge blow in Szombathely

5000 people were inside the Rohonci úti Stadion in Szombathelyi to see Haladás take on league cup finalists Videoton. The hosts went into this game unbeaten in their last four but it was Vidi who took the lead four minutes before half time as former Parma and Chelsea man Oliveira scored his second goal of the season, dancing through the defence before slotting home off the chasing defender. A minute before the hour mark, Hungarian international Sándor slotted home a penalty to give the away side a comfortable lead going into the last half hour. On 65 minutes Radó pulled one back with a header for Haladás before Halmosi completed a remarkable comeback with an unmarked header in the six yard box to seal a point. Videoton lose ground on Gyõr and it looks like they may have to settle for 3rd place this season. Haladás now sit 7 points from the final relegation place but this spirited display should give the team a boost to ease the worry of the drop.

The PMFC Stadion was the venue for Pécs against Újpest. This was former assistant manager Olivér Mink’s first game in charge of Pécs who bizarrely sacked their manager Mészáros despite sitting 6th in the first division table after only being promoted last season. It was the home side who had the better of the first half but failed to cause Újpest any serious trouble and the second half saw the Pécs goalkeeper in excellent form to ensure the game finished 0-0. The travelling fans from the capital unveiled a banner which read “Spisljak=nb2” to show exactly where they think they are heading under the current manager and with the team only 2 points from a relegation place, it is a real possibility. What Pécs are trying to achieve with a new manager remains to be seen but this point leaves them safely in 7th place as it stands.

Sundays first game saw Honvéd welcome strugglers Lombard Pápa to the Bozsik József Stadion in Budapest.  Honvéd were favourites  for a win here despite two defeats on the bounce and started well when Délczeg finished neatly from the edge of the area after a great through ball.  On 23 minutes the home side were awarded a penalty when winger Tchami was body checked in the box but Ivancsics saw his spot kick brilliantly pushed round the post by Szűcs in the Pápa goal. From the resulting corner, centre half Botis managed to bundle the ball into the back of the net to give the Budapest club a 2-0 half time lead. The closest the away side came to a goal was on 74 minutes when Tóth was ruled offside after a long range effort came back off the bar to his feet and four minutes later Tchami’s effort that hit the bar at the other end was just one of many more missed chances for the home side. Honvéd stay 4th with this win, now 6 points away from Videoton in 3rd while Lombard Pápa remain out of the relegation places by goal difference only.

The weekends last game saw the basement boys Zalaegerszeg face Ferencváros at the ZTE Aréna, with the home side still looking for

Fradi celebrate their superb comeback

their first win of the season. There was nothing of note in this game until the 42nd minute when the home side were awarded a penalty following a clumsy challenge, which Kocsárdi despatched beautifully to give ZTE a shock 1-0 half time lead. On 55 minutes ZTE were in heaven as Máté put them 2-0 up with a header that powered off the bar and goalkeeper, and they were possibly already thinking of the front page headline as Simic pulled one back just 4 minutes later, finishing well in the area after latching on to a lofted through ball. Then it was the turn of substitute Hakola to make his mark on the game on 71 minutes as he slotted a neat finish home from just inside the area to make it 2-2. A point would have been very little reward to ZTE but it was about to get much worse as Hakola again, smashed home a lovely curling effort from outside the area in stoppage time to break their hearts. Just 8 points still for ZTE at the very bottom of the table while that comeback lifts Ferencváros 2 places into 9th.


Next week’s league fixtures

Kaposvár vs Diósgyőr  (Friday)

Paks vs Debrecen

Siófok vs Pécs

Kecskemét vs Zalaegerszeg

Ferencváros vs Győr

Lombard Pápa vs Haladás

Videoton vs Vasas  (Sunday)

Újpest vs Honvéd  (Sunday)


Hungarian cup semi final second legs

Videoton (3) vs MTK Budapest (2)  (Tuesday)

Újpest (1) vs Debrecen (2)  (Wednesday)


Enhanced by Zemanta